In line with the principles of the masterplan, the key aims and outcomes of the designs for 5-10 Highams Park Industrial Estate are as follows:
- No net loss of employment floor space
- A mix of small, medium, and large flexible industrial spaces to meet businesses demand and the needs of an evolving market for 100+ years
- Covered vehicle yards containing the noise and pollution often associated with industrial uses
- Careful consideration of the streets/transport/access and loading arrangements whilst designing streets for
a safe hierachy of movement with pedestrians and cyclists
- High quality residential homes suited to all members of the community within an inclusive environment
- Retain existing trees and increase the landscaping, urban greening and biodiversity
- Enhancing pedestrian and public realm spaces with public survileance and active frontages bringing life to
the Larkshall Road
- Improved connectivity, public realm and pedestrian experience with highams park centre promoting
sustainable travel and the 15-minute neighbourhood
- Deliverability, phasing, and potential for the retention of businesses
- Low carbon and sustainable design
We are currently looking at increasing the amount of accessible public realm by 200%, creating a landscape-led approach to design. Private spaces will also be created for new residents at podium level on top of the industrial uses.
At the centre of this approach is the Mayor of London’s Healthy Streets programme, which looks to create healthy communities.
What are Healthy Streets?
This project will draw on the Mayor’s Healthy Streets approach, which provides a framework for helping every Londoner live an active life, combating the ‘inactivity crisis’. The aim is to improve air quality, reduce congestion and help make London’s diverse communities greener, healthier, and more attractive places to live, work, play and do business. The benefits of such an approach could improve mental health, help combat social isolation and bring economic benefits to the local area. This approach will be applied across the project.
You can find out more about Healthy Streets here