Landowner and Business Survey
Waltham Forest has been consulting with the landowners and local businesses in the LSIS to understand how they use their current employment space and their plans for the future. This work has been undertaken to ensure that the masterplan considers and reflects this direct evidence from employers, it should be noted that the survey had an uptake of approximately 50% of the businesses on the site.
Some of the key findings from the survey are outlined below:
- 88% of the LSIS is occupied by independent businesses
- 75% highlighted their space included an upper floor and 25% highlighted their space included a mezzanine
- 75% of respondents have ancillary office space and 38% have a customer-facing trading counter element
- None of the respondents have a goods lift
- 63% of respondents have a loading bay
- Hours of operation tend to be between 7 am and 8 pm, but two respondents indicate 24-hour operations
- 38% were freeholders, 13% were leaseholders and 38% were tenants.
- 100% of respondents said they do use a yard or outdoor space. 75% said they used this space for staff parking. 75% said they used this space for customer parking. 13% said they used this space for storage. 88% said they used this space for loading/unloading. 13% said they used this space for working. 13% said they used this space for customer-facing activities.
- 50% of respondents rely on on-street parking.
- 75% confirm they need access to an outdoor / yard space to operate.
- 88% confirm they need an open plan / flexible space in order to operate.
- 75% confirm they need high ceilings in order to operate.
- 63% confirmed they need servicing access in order to operate.
- 50% confirmed they need ancillary office space in order to operate.
- 13% confirmed they need a trade counter in order to operate.
- 38% confirmed they need access to a workshop / messy area.